My Financial Calendar: 12 Months of Money-Saving Tips
Get your finances in tip-top shape within the next 12 months by following this financial calendar:
- Match your 401k contribution to your annual raise.
- Add an auto investing program with monthly withdrawals from checking or savings.
Fund your last year's IRA.
- April 15th is the deadline for last year's contribution.
- For 2009, the deductible limit is $5,000.
- Over 50? Add $1,000 extra to catch-up.
Organize your tax prep.
- Watch for W-2s and 1099s by the end of the month.
- Call each employer and investment firm if you miss their form.
- Expect a two-week turnaround for these requests.
File your tax return or six
- Get quicker refunds and fewer mistakes.
- Use direct deposit for even faster receipt.
Pay down debt with tax
- Average individual refund in '08 was approx. $2.3k; pay down debt.
- Add to savings.
- Add to 401K.
Service your car.
- Save on gas when prices are higher in the summer.
- A clean air filter can boost fuel economy by 10%.
Do a credit check; improve
- Free from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
- Via web, mail or phone.
- Use debit v credit.
Prepare/review your will/
- Do it yourself with WillMaker.
- Consult an estate attorney for advice.
- Review annually as your life changes.
Plan for your kid's education.
- Invest in a Coverdell
- Invest in a 529.
- Non-deductible payments grow tax free.
- Withdrawals are tax free for qual costs.
Prepare your home for winter
with an energy audit.
- Find out what your costs should be.
- Can you adjust and save both energy and cost?
- Some audits are free.
Watch for holiday sales.
- Avoid the rush.
- Buy great gifts/great prices.
- Budget with more pay periods.
Make smart tax payments by
- Need deductions?
- Donate to charity.
- Make early property tax payments.
- Make early mortgage payments.
© All Rights Reserved. 2010. Hollis Page Harman is a Registered Representative with and offers securities through LPL Financial.
Member FINRA/SIPC. CA Insurance Lic # 0E22834. email@example.com. T 310 551 6079
LPL Financial, 1925 Century Park East #400, Los Angeles, CA 90067