Ugh…scars. Almost all of us have them and many of us wish they would just go away.
Unfortunately, scars are permanent fixtures on our skin, but there are cosmetic treatments that can be used to remove them. One of the less expensive, non-invasive treatments is skin bleach.
But is skin bleaching safe?
Read on to find out more about skin bleach for scars and whether this is a safe way to remove them from your skin.
What is Skin Bleaching?
Skin bleaching works by reducing a pigment called melanin in the skin. It is often used to treat skin problems like acne scars, age spots, and discoloration. It can also be used to lighten skin in general.
Is Skin Bleach Safe for Scars?
The biggest risk associated with skin bleaching is mercury poisoning.
Mercury is a toxic chemical that can cause psychiatric, neurological, and kidney problems. Pregnant woman can pass mercury onto an unborn child.
Mercury is banned from skin lightening products in the U.S., but there are products manufactured outside of the U.S. that may contain mercury.
In addition to possible mercury poisoning, skin bleach also presents the following risks:
- Prolonged use can contribute to premature aging of the skin.
- Skin bleach can increase the risk of skin cancer. Be sure to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen to counter these effects.
- The steroids in skin lighteners can increase the risk of skin infections, poor wound healing, skin thinning, and acne.
- Applying skin bleach to large areas of your body will put your body at risk due to the amount of steroids being absorbed by the skin.
- hydroquinone in skin bleach may cause untreatable discoloration.
- Use of skin lightening agents can cause skin allergies and irritation.
Alternate Treatments for Scarring
If you have scarring that is bothering you and you are hesitant to use skin bleach for scars there are some natural alternatives. Here are a few we recommend.
Derma E: Derma E is a skin care brand known for producing facial products with wholesome ingredients like vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They are designed to help with skin problems like scars, age spots, and blemishes. Try products like Derma-E’s Scar Gel and Skin Lighten to find out how they can support healthy-looking skin.
MiraCell: MiraCell offers a line of botanical skin care and cosmetic products. They use state of the art research and reliable manufacturing methods to ensure the high quality of everything they sell. Their Scar Support Cream is recommended for those who wish to reduce the appearance of scarring on the skin.
If scars are getting you down, skin bleaching may be a risky solution. Fortunately, there are natural alternatives that can work to reduce the appearance of those pesky scars and other skin problems. We wish you the best of luck in achieving the complexion you’ve always dreamed of.