Ugh, bad breath! It’s so embarrassing. Most of us will do just about anything to prevent it.
While mouthwashes, toothbrushes, and tongue scrapers are all recommended in keeping breath smelling fresh, there is another treatment that not only boosts oral health, it is also beneficial to other parts of the body, and that’s zinc.
Read on to find out more about zinc and bad breath and what you can do to keep your mouth smelling its best.
Zinc and Bad Breath
Here are some of the ways zinc can work to benefit oral health and reduce the risk of conditions that can lead to bad breath.
- Prevents demineralization of teeth and promotes remineralization to reduce tooth decay and cavities
- Reduces the risk of gingivitis and other oral health issues.
- Zinc also prevents proteins in the mouth from creating sulfur gas, which is damaging to soft tissue and can further contribute to bad breath.
Zinc and General Health
In addition to boosting oral health, here are some other ways zinc can work to improve quality of life.
- Regulates the Immune System: Zinc activates T lymphocytes, which regulate immune responses.
- Helps Treat and Prevent Diarrhea: Studies show that taking zinc on a regular basis can treat diarrhea and prevent future bouts.
- May Boost Learning and Memory: Research suggests zinc plays a crucial role in regulating how neurons communicate affecting the part of our brain responsible for learning and forming memories.
- Treats Colds: Studies have shown that zinc can reduce the duration and severity of colds.
- Speeds Wound Healing: Zinc works to maintain skin structure and integrity, so it is commonly used in skin creams that treat irritations. It has also been shown to heal wounds by decreasing inflammation and bacterial growth.
- Improves Eye Health: Zinc prevents cellular damage in the retina, reducing the risk of macular degeneration and vision loss.
- Boost Fertility: Studies have shown that a zinc deficiency is linked with low quality sperm and male infertility.
Finding the Right Zinc Product to Boost Your Health
If you are hoping to boost your health by using zinc products, it’s important to find supplements that are as pure and potent as possible. Here are a few we recommend.
Thorne Research Zinc Picolinate 15 Mg: Thorne Research is a company known for providing products that are tested for purity. Their Zinc Picolinate is a highly absorbable and bioavailable form of the supplement. It is recommended for supporting the immune system, reproductive health, eye health, and more.
Pure Encapsulations Zinc Liquid 15 Mg: The Pure Encapsulations brand manufactures hypo-allergenic supplements that are vegetarian, high quality, and contain no artificial ingredients. Their Zinc Liquid is recommended for its ability to boost the immune system. It also plays a key role in digestion, metabolism, and tissue respiration.
Now that you know the zinc and bad breath correlation, how will you be using this valuable supplement to keep your oral health at its best and boost your quality of life in general?